Member Spotlight - Bellingham IT
This month we hand over the spotlight to our new membership officer, Paul Heigham. Here we find out more about his business Bellingham IT, and why he’s volunteered to play an active role in supporting the growth of Cognitiv and the future prosperity of the CDIT community across the Wakefield district.
Sum up your business in just a couple of sentences?
Bellingham IT are much more than just an IT support company, we provide a business consultancy service with an expertise in technology. We solve our client’s business problems by aligning the correct technology to their company vision and goals.
Can you provide details of your core services, including any client/ sector examples?
Our core services are:
• Maintenance and Support
• Data protection and Security
• Cloud Services, Backup and Disaster Recovery
Bellingham IT are focused on providing this service to Wakefield based companies (Wakefield and the surrounding 5 towns). We will source our products and services from local firms wherever possible, as we believe in keeping business within the district.
What excites you about your business and the work that you do?
Technology, especially ‘Cloud Technology’ is continually evolving and because of this there are many pitfalls that businesses need to avoid. I see it as my responsibility to advise businesses on how to get the best out of technology and avoid the said pitfalls.
All business owners start a venture because they do what they do very well, Bellingham IT provides that technological support to allow them to focus on their core business activities and become as successful as they want to be.
Tell us about a recent project?
We have recently completed a project to help a new start-up Law Firm set up their business and office, this involved:
• Providing all hardware for the office.
• Providing the email, anti-virus, backup and general office software.
• Installing and configuring the network, including the cabling.
• Configuring the computers / devices on the network.
• Providing a cloud based Case Management System – this sub project included; the scoping of the clients requirements, sourcing the most suitable software, preparing the tender, comparing the results of the tender and reporting back to the client and finally managing the implementation of the software, along with the associated training.
• Managing the implementation of the new phone system and connectivity to the internet.
• Providing on going hardware and software support
This completed successfully within the time period required and to the clients budget, with 100 % satisfaction.
What one piece of work are you most proud of?
The one piece of work that I am most proud of is when I was working in the corporate world of FMCG. I fully managed the project to implement an ERP (Enterprise, Resource, and Planning) system into a new acquired business. This involved managing a team to:
• Document the business processes of the acquired business and the legacy software
• Migrate the data from the legacy software
• Implement and configure the ERP software
• Integrate the ERP software with 3rd party software
• Load the data in to the ERP software
• Provide training to the personnel of the acquired business
• Run legacy software and new ERP software in parallel to ensure that both are configured the same
• Manage the Go Live period and provide ongoing support for the following month to ensure that the transition between the software was seamless.
Why have you chosen to become a member of Cognitiv?
I truly believe in everything that Cognitiv stands for in bringing the Arts and business together in Wakefield, and keeping that business in the District to drive the local economy. I cannot wait to bring some new ideas to the committee.
What are the biggest issues faced by your sector?
The same with most sectors in Wakefield, there is a lack of young people with the required skills, both technical and soft. With the help of Cognitiv and building relationships with the local education sector we can bridge the gap and give Wakefield a competitive advantage.
What are the biggest opportunities for your sector?
The ever evolving technology is the biggest opportunity; it is also the biggest threat.
What do you enjoy the most about working in Wakefield?
The community, the people…… It makes Wakefield what it is.